Saturday, November 13, 2010

Of crocodiles and making lip balm

Playing store today at Porcupine Creek Farm wasn't quite like working at Walmart on a Saturday, but the day went by quickly and my Walmart greeters, Molly and Jack, barked enthusiastically at each arrival. I might increase their wages, they behaved so well. Fortunately, they get paid in kibbles, so the farm won't go belly up. Speaking of bellies, they just might get a tummy rub to boot.
Well my first workshop, making lip balm using all natural ingredients, went really well. I had five participants, all women. Unfortunately, the older man who drove up our driveway last Friday evening in his little red Mazda pickup to ask if men were allowed to take the workshop, never did show up. I'm sure he would have been a welcome addition. But the five women who attended appeared to have lots of fun. They got to sniff dried calendula, learn how to make herbal infusions, shave chunks off a one-pound beeswax bar, melt their concoction over the woodstove, flavour their lip balm with an array of essential oils, and break out the coloured markers to pretty up their lip balm labels All went home with stocking stuffers and a recipe. I wish them all happy lip balm making in the future.
Of course Thomas stopped by to entertain us with a sweater that invites playfulness. He asked me to add a hood to the sweater I made him for his birthday last February, but I couldn't resist garnishing the hood.
Sorry, I can't figure out how to flip this picture upright in the blog editor. You'll have to lie down to see the picture properly.
Sleep well.
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment